Author Archive

General Assembly Minutes 10 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Stack: Dan. Minutes: Katy

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • On Saturday, Jan 21st there is going to be a People’s Tribunal about the corporation Monsanto and their practices. This is going to be held in the law courtroom in Lesar Law Building on SIUC campus. Sarah will share more information as it becomes available.
  • Tonight, Dec 10th is the Gaia House’s 1st Annual Interfaith Holiday Bash: Christmahanukwanzadan from 6-11 pm. This is a major fundraiser for Gaia House. The cost is $10 at the door and includes food, drinks, raffles, and entertainment from S.I.W.A.D.E, Kid Tiger, and Nile Breeze Dance Company!
  • At 2:30 pm today, following the GA, the Recreation Committee is having a teach-in on mending clothing. Please join them and bring your clothes that need mending!
  • There is going to be a show on Wed, Dec 14th with bands, short films, performance art, and visual art at 8 pm at the IMC.
  • The Outreach working group will be meeting at the IMC on Tues, Dec 13th at 6 pm. All are invited.
  • On Thurs, Dec 15th we will once again be protesting at the Federal Building in Carbondale from 12-1pm. Please share this event with your friends.
  • Marilyn would like to thank everyone who came to the Peace Coalition’s vigil for UN Human Rights Day today!
  • The next New Humanist Forum will be on Sunday, Jan 15th at the Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship, 105 N. Parrish at 12:15 pm. Rich Federer will be speaking on the topic of corporations are not people.
  • Reminder to please write all events on the calendar located in the IMC so that everyone who might be interested can see them.
  • Anyone who wants to be added to the Occupy Carbondale Google Group should add their email to the sheet being passed around during the GA. The invitation will appear in your inbox as being from the Group.
  • Ashley has been in contact with Occupy Springfield and Occupy Chicago. 2 of Occupy Springfield’s members were arrested and fined $500 for chalking on sidewalks even though there is no city ordinance against chalking. Rich Whitney stated that one of the occupiers was charged with defacing public property and that he is currently in the process of getting copies of their citations in order to offer them legal advice. If you would like to express concern, please call the Springfield Police Dept at 217-788-8311. Occupy Springfield has also posted some interesting videos about what they have been doing on their website (OccupySpringfield.org).
  • The group Occupy Congress is planning an event called Million Tent March for Jan 17th, the Tues after MLK Jr Day. Dan has done some research and it would cost about $244 dollars roundtrip on Amtrak to go to DC. He will keep us updated and is planning to go if the event happens. It was also suggested that it might be possible to fill a bus which would cost about $65 per person.
  • The next meeting of the Human Relations Committee will be Monday, Jan 9th at 6:30 at the Carbondale Civic Center. This is one of the advisory boards to the city council.
  • The next meeting of the Sustainability Committee, another advisory board of the city council, will be on Thursday, Dec 15th at 6:30 pm at the Carbondale Civic Center.
  • We will be having Film showings every Friday at the IMC. For now, they will be at 5:30 pm.
  • We need rugs for the drumset for the show at the IMC this Wednesday. Please contact Ashley if you have a rug you can donate or loan.
  • Ashley would like to organize a radical Christmas carolers group. Anyone interested, please see her.
  • There is going to be a Meet and Greet with the new WDBX board members tomorrow, Dec 11th from 5-8 pm at the Township Hall.
  • Gaia house has a garden which was not used this past year.

DISCUSSION

NOTE: The following notes are a summary of points brought up during the new discussion section of the GA. All thoughts are those of individual attendees of the GA and are NOT official statements of Occupy Carbondale.

  • Charlie Howe told the group about an author named John Michael Greer who was recommended to him by Bill Perk. Greer wrote a book called, “The Long Descent,” about peak resources whihc he recommends we read. Ashley also suggested the book, “The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century,” by  James Howard Kunstler which inspired her to become a bike commuter.
  • The topic of the community garden was brought up. Per Kyle, Jason is working with the city to get this started but it will likely be some months before this is established. Reminder of the importance of learning to grow our own food.
  • Aaron would like to do a teach-in on MAP model for developing goals and measuring movement towards goals and is wondering if people would be interested. He would be open to help if anyone is interested.
  • One of the challenges of our occupation is that we do not have any visible symbols of the 1% here, the closest thing would be the Federal building. The government is not really the problem, the problem are the poweres manipulating it. We should join other occupations in major cities for their actions. We should also be a presence at candidate forums for the upcoming elections, raising important issues and researching where candidates are getting their money. This is not yet actionable but should be thought about.
  • There are some representations of the 1% in Peabody Coal and Ameren. However, these are not very visible symbols.
  • The Big Muddy IMC is not just limited to Carbondale but the whole rural community. We need to create positive forward movement; “protests” can feed into negativity. Going to DC for protests may take energy away from things we can do in this area.
  • Anyone interested in farming can come to Hollow Pumpkin Farms and they would be happy to teach you. See Fran for more info.
  • We need to have more radical action like general strikes, mortgage strikes, not paying income taxes (fueling the war machine).
  • We need to make this a narrative. Where do we want to be 2 months down the road? 1 year?
  • We need to set plans and goals within the group even if they are not publicized.
  • Idea to go to Walmart, spread out and Mic check. Could also do a flash mob/carolers.
  • Idea to possibly try to support the labor dispute with Long John Silvers in some way.
  • There is an organization called Project Vote Smart which collects information regarding campaign financing for all candidates.
  • Everyone is encouraged to sign petitions against the Detention Act and write Congress.

 PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL:  Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • Discussion: The main reasons for this change are to streamline the process and to allow more voices to be heard in the group discussion, as opposed to the interventions. Some expressed that they felt the group was already a small group discussion, however others felt that even smaller groups were important for less dominating voices to be heard.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Turn off the lights in the IMC during the GA.

  • Discussion: Facilitator suggested that we put up signage encouraging everyone to be energy efficient but this does not need to be a proposal. The lights were turned off.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • The General Assemblies scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st,2011 are cancelled.
  • The first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it are eliminated from the consensus process. If a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

General Assembly Minutes 7 DEC 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Dan. Stack: Danielle. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We will hold “Recreational Day” at the Bucky Dome site near the corner of 51 and Grand on Friday, Dec 9th from 12pm-2pm.
  • The Outreach Working group met on Tuesday. The meeting minutes are posted at CccupyCarbondale.org. We will be meeting every Tuesday at 6pm at the IMC (214 N. Washington St.)
  • On Thursday, Dec 8th from 12-1pm we will be marching at the Federal Building in downtown Carbondale. Please join us!
  • On Friday, Dec 9th at 5:30pm we will be showing the film, “Metropolis” at the IMC
  • There will be a special Human Rights peace vigil at the Town Square on Saturday, Dec 10th from 12pm-1pm. The Peace Coalition is calling for 30+ people to hold signs stating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
  • This Saturday, Dec 10th, following the GA, at 2:30pm there will be a teach-in on sewing/mending clothing. Bring clothes in need of care.
  • American Voices meets every 1st Thursday of each month at 6pm at Spinoni’s. This is a good opportunity for outreach.
  • Ashley is planning an Art Show for next Wednesday, Dec 14th following the GA.
  • Last Sunday’s live music show made $20 for IMC utilities.
  • The Sierra Club is having a picnic at Giant City on New Year’s Day at Shelter 2 from 11-3pm. It is a potlatch. There will be soup.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Add a general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes to the GA agenda so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements, 2) Discussion, 3) Proposals, 4) Adjournment. 

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Change the consensus process to include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.  

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the scheduling of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote
(following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the structure of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • A general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes will be added to the agenda of the General Assemblies so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements 2) Discussion 3) Proposals 4) Adjournment.
  • The consensus process will now include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.
  • The following two Proposals were passed, but will need to pass another GA before taking effect:
    • 1. Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.
    • 2. Eliminate the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it from the consensus process so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

 

General Assembly Minutes 3 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Wayne. Stack: Ashley. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Marleen Shepherd made an announcement on behalf of the Carbondale Interfaith Council. They would like us to know that they (along with other organizations) are currently drafting a statement of suport for the Occupy movement. They support Occupy Carbondale and are looking to help us.
  • Occupy Carbondale has been invited to speak at the Carbondale Human Relations Commission meeting Monday, Dec. 5th at 6pm at the Carbondale Civic Center. Several occupiers will be in attendance. Everyone is invited and encouraged to participate.
  • For anyone who wants should join the Occupy Carbondale google group, a piece of paper is being passed around to collect addresses.
  • Jason Shoot is running for WDBX Board of Directors. Become a WDBX member, and you will able to vote in the election.
  • The Alternative Gift Fair will be held at the Unitarian Fellowship from 3-6pm on Sunday, Dec. 3rd.
  • Anyone interested in Occupy Chicago’s meet and greet networking efforts can talk to/message Ashley.
  • There will be live music at the Occupy HQ (IMC 214 N. Washington) on Sunday, Dec. 3rd (late evening?). Proceeds from donations will go to pay for our facilities and a portion to the bands.
  • Peace Coalition need at least 32 people to attend next Saturday, Dec. 10th for a special Human Right’s Day peace vigil to hold signs featuring the declaration of human of rights from 12pm-1pm at the Town Square.
  • Occupy Carbondale will be demonstrating against austerity measures, corporate influence in government, and tax laws that favor corporations outside the Paul Simon Federal Building in Carbondale on Thursday between 12-1pm. Please join us!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Seek a permit for the Thursday Federal Building Demonstrations

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn
  • Discussion: While there was considerable support for the idea following the intervention stage of the consensus process, the proposer withdrew the proposal. People should be aware that we likely will not have a permit to demonstrate on Federal property, but are protected when demonstrating while walking in the sidewalk areas. Anyone is welcome to get a permit for the demonstration.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus

General Assembly Minutes 26 NOV 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator & Minutes: Matthew

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • The 7th annual Alternative Gift Fair will be held next Sunday, Dec 4th from 3-6 pm.
  • There will be an art exhibit and demonstration focusing on Art therapy, “Art as Empowerment,” at the Women’s Center on Wednesday, Dec 1st at 7 pm.
  • A copy of a video of Occupy Carbondale members speaking at the New Humanist Forum has been given as a gift to the Media Committee.
  • A teach-in called, “In defense of the Public Sector,” is tentatively scheduled for Thurs, Dec 2nd at 7 pm at the Carbondale Civic Center.
  • A calendar is up and running on the google groups. Keep an eye out for it on the website!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Give Peter autonomy to accept invitation from OccupyTogether.org and OccupyWallSt.org to participate in online radio station. This does not include any power over content or scheduling.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Share a communique from a teacher in Oakland, CA on the Google Group.

  • Discussion: Facilitator clarified that this did not need to be a proposal.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Peter may communicate with OccupyTogether.org and OccupyWallSt.org in order to accept their invitation to participate in an online radio station on behalf of Occupy Carbondale.

General Assembly Minutes 16 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Nick. Stack: Kara. Minutes: Meghan

GENERAL DISCUSSION

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • No announcements made

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Make the official name of the Triangle finger symbol “point of process.”

  • Discussion: Facilitator stated that this did not require a vote.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Have a press conference to inform the public about our happenings.

  • Discussion: Facilitator suggested an amendment to state that a future press conference would be authorized by the Media Committee. Then it was amended to prepare and do work for a future press conference, which does not require a vote at this time.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Give the Recreation Committee the freedom to put the Occupy Carbondale name on promotions with the ability for Occupy members to vote against the name being used for each specific Rec Comm event promotion.

  • Discussion: Facilitator clarified that is it always okay for committees’ to use Occupy Carbondale name for promotions.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Create a Speaker Bureau, which would consist of a small team of people of eloquent speakers of the group who would be able to speak about various topics to different audiences. Sarah L. offered to be a coach for these speakers and the education would include: speech making training, intensive
autodidactic learning, and possibly even create publications.

  • Discussion: Should be taken to the Outreach Committee
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Reduce the amount of Committees and set a fixed number.

  • Discussion: We should be mindful of the number of committees in the future.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

DISCUSSION

  • We had a discussion after the GA about Committees versus Working Groups. A Committee is USED TO ACHIEVE GOALS, it is NOT a social group. Practical achievement is important.

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus

Minutes from the First Meeting of OD

ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKING GROUP
November 12, 2011 (2:00 PM) @ Big Muddy IMC

*I.* Discussion of operating procedures for the working group.

-This one group will concentrate on generating ideas for two aspects of group organizing as defined below.

1) Organizational Development: Refinement of organizational processes for the increased efficiency and effectiveness of Occupy Carbondale’s general operations.

2)Strategic Visioning: A forum for engaging in broader strategic visioning for the future of Occupy Carbondale with an emphasis on the creation of actionable proposals.

-Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate in this working group.

-The group will meet twice a week: one night meeting, one day; one weekday meeting, one weekend
-Meetings for this week will happen Thurs at 5:30 and Sat at 2:00 at the IMC
-Permanent meeting times will be addressed at one of this week’s meetings.
-Structure for meetings will be as follows:

  • Collectively create agenda, organize the items into categories
  • Organizational Development Agenda Items
  • Strategic Visioning Agenda items
  • Recap on decisions and action items
  • Move unaddressed or new items to next meeting agenda

-Minutes will be posted to the website and a link will be posted to the [oc-internal] google group, website and facebook group.

*II. Discussion*
-There was concern raised by a couple of parties that we have some very active members who are currently homeless and had been staying at the occupation site across from the Gaia House.
-They were hoping for help from the group in supporting those who are homeless and wish to continue supporting the group.
-Several options were considered, including camping at the town square pavilion, the Good Samaritan House and sleeping at the IMC.
-Sleeping at the IMC was ruled out due to it being zoned commercial.  More discussion of this point is needed…
-Some expressed interest in trying to maintain a 24 hour public space occupation, or at least an abbreviated daily occupation, in order to stay better in solidarity with other Occupations.
-Others were concerned about the number of actual people hours we have available, and how continuing the 24 hour occupation would be unsustainable, but that a shorter daily occupation might be feasible.
-There was a discussion of the merits of 1) demonstrating to challenge existing power structures to gain reform, versus 2) building the world we envision from the ground up as our “demonstration” because politicians and corporations can’t solve our problems.
-It was noted that these are perhaps complementary parts of a holistic approach and don’t need to be mutually exclusive.

General Assembly Minutes 12 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Stack: Kyle.  Minutes: Nichole.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

PROCESS: Special Format

  • It was asked that some time be spent doing free discussion before we begin the usual process.

SPECIAL DISCUSSION

DISCUSSION: Related to the move to the IMC

  • Organizational Development & Strategic Visioning: the point of this committee is to develop actionable proposals. This group meets twice a week – Thursday at 5.30pm & Saturday at 2pm are the next two meetings (more concrete times will happen later). Starts with collectively creating an agenda; minutes will be posted on the occupycarbondale.org site under the tab for working groups/committees. Minutes will also be on the Google groups, Facebook, & a physical copy will appear in the IMC.
  • Perhaps have a board in the IMC that lists who is in what committees, who can be contacted for different issues or to be added to the Google groups?
  • Reminder that everyone is welcome to join any committee.
  • We constantly come up against new questions. How do we actively as new activists fight back & connect that to the movement as it began? We need to continue to connect to these [economic] issues, in terms of how they are going to play out in Southern Illinois.
  • Anyone in the Google groups can invite any other person to join.
  • Perhaps we should pass around a sign-in at the beginning of any GA for folks who are new who might be interested in joining the Google group to participate in those conversations.
  • Form small groups meetings to take place at the IMC, about how this space can be used as a winter headquarters in order to keep building activist connections. Some things that have been suggested:
    – art shows
    – music shows (diy, local)
    – free laundry service
    – skills swaps / teach-ins with the general aim of weaning ourselves off corporations
    – make a more substantial kitchen
    – info swap / book store, publishing our own material
    – free store
    – radio show
    – open mics
    – what would it mean for this to be a safe space? critically reflecting on the ways we communicate with one another, engaging in anti-oppression work.
  •  We should put a lot of time, energy, & effort into the Organizational Development & Strategic Visioning committee; we need to be strategic about how we continue to channel energy into specific activities towards our goals.
  • American Voices still claimed to be an ally of our movement in the paper, even though we rejected the proposal to let them co-sponsor an event. What if we, as a group, aligned/attached ourselves with local businesses/organizations?
  • Re: Faculty strike; the faculty is now curious about Occupy Carbondale. There is some rich possibility here.
  • Reading groups? Study groups? Speakers’ Bureau? How do we go out, to  keep from being isolated? We can both invite people in, work on our own public speaking, and volunteer to go speak about Occupy Carbondale. Suggested that we have a roster of folks willing to speak.
  • Missing from Strategic Visioning: rallies, marches, and direct actions we can’t forget these.
  • What kinds of things allow people who wouldn’t come to a GA to feel connected to the movement, to recognize skills that may be of help to the movement? One way to connect to students may be to have a table on campus once every two weeks or something, encouraging students to start or move bank accounts to local credit unions. Start focusing on solutions, and driving  people towards them.
  • Re: creatively connecting to what’s going on in Southern Illinois: we can’t keep ourselves isolated from the people. We need to connect to the desires of the people: the unemployed, exploited students, etc. The intellectual and creative power is here.
  • There are two modes to demonstration: attack & support. We can mobilize support for those things that we do believe in. We don’t have to always be on the attack.
  • It’s really important we keep our focus on the world, what’s going on. “We’ve already caught all the fish, a tiny group of people stole those fish, now we gotta fight to get our fish back.” Not helping people, but joining with them. Solidarity, not charity. For instance, we could demand the prices of textbooks be lowered; we could look up whose houses are being foreclosed on.
  • There are have been some talk about trying to organize an undergraduate student strike in the Spring to address the huge increases in student fees. This might be an issue we could help to organize around, create a push-back on campus, & get people involved on campus.
  • We could concretely start creating new economies here, such as land trusts, having people buy houses to create a new housing situation, etc. Sarah has suggestions of model for how this stuff works.
  • We need to listen to their concerns, but not necessarily unite with all their answers. We need to teach the people how & why the system works, that this isn’t their individual fight, but a systemic issue.
  • Women & children are the most deeply effected in economic issues.
  • Have we already started to identify organizations that we may be able to assist/take action with? Women’s Center, Good Samaritan, Boys & Girls Club
  • Jason has been in contact with Good Samaritan through Occupy Hunger; there are both short & long term goals. The Good Samaritan food pantry is in desparate need of food. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel; we can help organize & facilitate, mobilize. We can help them do what they are already doing. We can build a network of people who provide, such as local farmers.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Occupy Hunger went to the Farmer’s Market 2 weekends in a row. We collected $75 & a bunch of food last weekend, which was donated to Good Samaritan and Feed My Sheep. Today, we collectd almost $200.
  • There is a black & silver tripod belonging to Nichole & her partner that was loaned to the group for media stuff. It has gone missing. Please return if found!
  • There is a power bill; it runs from $30 to $60 a month & it is more expensive in the winter.
  • If you had things at the campus location, you should come to the IMC to collect anything that is a personal item (or it might become collective property).

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Clarify the process in order to limit the power of any single person from dominating the group. Propose that we agree to take this under consideration, and move to change/clarify/refine process rules by the end of November.

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn; will be taken to a committee

PROPOSAL:  Reduce GAs to twice a week, Saturday at 1pm & Wednesday at 7pm.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus; must be approved at the next GA

PROPOSAL: Rescind the GA rule in which any change to GA structure must reach consensus at two consecutive GAs.

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Use some of our funds to invest in our own hosted website so as to better archive all of our videos & photos.

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn for further research regarding server space

PROPOSAL: Thursday, Nov. 17th is the National Day of Action declared by Occupy Wall St. Proposal would organize a protest for that day for 4.30pm at the Federal building. This should go to the Organizational Development & Strategic Visioning after the GA to be planned.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • General Assemblies will now occur twice a week, Saturday at 1pm & Wednesday at 7pm (this proposal was approved at the 7 pm GA on 11/12/11 and the 11 am GA on 11/13/11).

# # #

 

General Assembly Minutes 10 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Zainul. Minutes: Katy

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Occupy St Louis has been served an eviction notice for 3 pm tomorrow, Friday, Nov 11th at 3 pm. Please call the Park District (314-289-5300) to support their right to peaceably assemble!
  • One of our members visited Occupy Chicago!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: We allow a student to record this GA.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [no blocks]

PROPOSAL: Post an announcement regarding our upcoming move to the official website and Facebook page, as follows:

We, the people of Occupy Carbondale, will be moving to the Big Muddy Independent Media Center (known as the IMC) at 214 N. Washington St, near the Town Square in Carbondale, on Saturday, November 12th, our 1 month anniversary. Our current location at the corner of Illinois and Grand Avenue, between the Bucky Dome and Gaia House on the campus of SIUC, has served us well as a symbolically powerful location. However, each occupation must be aware of its own limitations and, more importantly, its strengths. After careful consideration, we feel that our movement will be better served from this new space. It is our intention to use this location as a shared community space and as a base of operations for continued indoor and outdoor activities, programs, and direct actions. We assure the people of Carbondale and Southern Illinois that we have not gone away. We still are and will continue to be an active movement of, for, and by the people. We encourage everyone to join us in our new space where we seek to build true democracy and authentic community with you (yes, you!). It is never too late to get involved. Bring your thoughts, complaints, contributions, energy, enthusiasm, and yourself to the Big Muddy IMC.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [no blocks]

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • We will post an announcement regarding our upcoming move to the official website and Facebook page, as follows:We, the people of Occupy Carbondale, will be moving to the Big Muddy Independent Media Center (known as the IMC) at 214 N. Washington St, near the Town Square in Carbondale, on Saturday, November 12th, our 1 month anniversary. Our current location at the corner of Illinois and Grand Avenue, between the Bucky Dome and Gaia House on the campus of SIUC, has served us well as a symbolically powerful location. However, each occupation must be aware of its own limitations and, more importantly, its strengths. After careful consideration, we feel that our movement will be better served from this new space. It is our intention to use this location as a shared community space and as a base of operations for continued indoor and outdoor activities, programs, and direct actions. We assure the people of Carbondale and Southern Illinois that we have not gone away. We still are and will continue to be an active movement of, for, and by the people. We encourage everyone to join us in our new space where we seek to build true democracy and authentic community with you (yes, you!). It is never too late to get involved. Bring your thoughts, complaints, contributions, energy, enthusiasm, and yourself to the Big Muddy IMC.

# # #

General Assembly Minutes 9 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Minutes: Matthew 

GENERAL DISCUSSION

NOTE: Our 11 AM General Assembly was not held as there were no members present with proposals or announcements.

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We were approached by a Group Against the Net Neutrality Bill.
  • Paula will be bringing by insulated coveralls. She would like these to be returned after use. She will also be washing wet blankets tonight.
  • Trish has an air mattress we can use at the Occupy site if we would like it.
  • Today’s march had a great turnout!
  •  The ongoing issue with the contract for the FA deals with not having penalties for striking Faculty members. No penalties were promised in the contracts for the other 3 unions.
  • Anne will be making pot pies over at Gaia House after GA.
  • There will be a meeting with the Chancellor and Administration at the Student Center at 9 am with a public Q&A to following from 10-12 on Thursday, Nov 10th.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: We begin a radio show called Occupy the Radio to inform the public.

  • Discussion: Kara and Jason are already working on this. There are some management issues at the station but Jason is using his time slot to do this.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus
# # #

Occupy Carbondale is moving to the Big Muddy IMC on Saturday, November 12, 2011

We, the people of Occupy Carbondale, will be moving to the Big Muddy Independent Media Center (known as the IMC) at 214 N. Washington St, near the Town Square in Carbondale, on Saturday, November 12th, our 1 month anniversary.

Our current location at the corner of Illinois and Grand Avenue, between the Bucky Dome and Gaia House on the campus of SIUC, has served us well as a symbolically powerful location. However, each occupation must be aware of its own limitations and, more importantly, its strengths. After careful consideration, we feel that our movement will be better served from this new space. It is our intention to use this location as a shared community space and as a base of operations for continued indoor and outdoor activities, programs, and direct actions.

We assure the people of Carbondale and Southern Illinois that we have not gone away. We still are and will continue to be an active movement of, for, and by the people.

We encourage everyone to join us in our new space where we seek to build true democracy and authentic community with you (yes, you!). It is never too late to get involved. Bring your thoughts, complaints, contributions, energy, enthusiasm, and yourself to the Big Muddy IMC.