Author Archive

General Assembly Minutes 02 NOV 2011 (5:30 PM)

Minutes: Treesong.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

PROCESS: Special Format

  • It was proposed earlier that tonight’s General Assembly be modified in form to allow for group discussion of our plans for the winter using the stack process to facilitate the discussion. Those present at the General Assembly agreed to continue with this plan. Therefore, the Proposals section was replaced by a Special Discussion section. While there was the potential for other proposals to arise, there were no proposals other than the proposal to adjourn. The discussion was followed by the previously overlooked Announcements section.

SPECIAL DISCUSSION

DISCUSSION: Winter is Coming

  • It’s impossible to summarize an hour or more of discussion with a few bullet points. However, those present at this General Assembly wanted to pass on some form of overview of what was discussed. Therefore, the following is a list of some [but not all] of the points of discussion.
  • Winterization Plan: The current plan for winter proposed by the Winterization Committee is to use the Big Muddy IMC community space [known simply as “The IMC” or “The Space”] as an indoor headquarters. Other additional plans are possible, including various proposals for how to maintain a visible and active public presence during hazardous weather conditions. Work on these additional proposals is ongoing, but the general idea of establishing the IMC as a winter headquarters was almost [but not quite] unanimously supported by those present.
  • There will be a march from the occupation site to the IMC on Sunday for a potluck and/or clean-up day.
  • The SIUC strike is not the only focus of Occupy Carbondale. This has always been the case, but establishing an off-campus headquarters will help clarify this.
  • Gaia House is still open and welcoming to Occupy Carbondale. There is ongoing discussion between the two groups to ensure that Occupy Carbondale knows and respects the needs of the Gaia House space, but this is a friendly and supportive discussion. The idea of a winter headquarters at the IMC came about for reasons unrelated to Gaia House.
  • The IMC would be a dedicated space for Occupy Carbondale. This would allow us to do things that we can’t do in a shared space.
  • The IMC has proximity to the Town Square.
  • Someone raised concerns about security in the neighborhood that the IMC is in. Those with experience at the IMC and in the neighborhood in question argued that there are far less security concerns there than at the current occupation site. There was broad agreement on this point.
  • Occupy Carbondale can still can be active elsewhere. The idea of an indoor winter headquarters does not preclude the idea of an outdoor occupation site or other indoor or outdoor activities.
  • Someone expressed concern that creating an indoor headquarters will lead us to lose focus on our goals and become less active. Others responded that focusing entirely on battling with the cold would also lead us to lose focus and become less active. Vigilance is required either way.
  • The time spent indoors during the winter can be a time for personal growth and growth as a movement. Teaching, workshops, etc., will be productive movement-building activities even in those times that we spend indoors. This will better prepare us for community outreach.
  • There was some brief discussion of how to modify our General Assembly schedule to include less General Assemblies without excluding anyone with a restrictive schedule. This was set aside in favor of the night’s focus on winterization.
  • Would maintaining a presence on our current site after creating this winter headquarters lead us to spread ourselves too thin?
  • If we don’t have a 24/7 occupation at a single location, we will still be doing visible public events like marches, rallies, and mini/temporary occupations.
  • There are many was to do public outreach, not just marches etc.
  • Part of what is capturing the imagination of people with their eye on Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Carbondale is the public spectacle. That public spectacle has already been achieved. Now, we need to develop more community organizing angles as well as innovative ways of maintaining that public attention on the issue of corporate takeover of our democracy.
  • For our local circumstances, mini-occupations may be a more tactical approach than 24/7 occupations. We can march to a location related to our goals, occupy public space there for an hour/day/etc., then march to another location at another time. This is an option to consider when discussing our plans to maintain a highly visible outdoor presence throughout the winter. Rather than a large number of people in a set location, we may opt for a smaller number of people moving between numerous locations.
  • There was almost [but not entirely] unanimous support for the idea of the IMC as a winter headquarters. However, not everyone was able to attend this meeting, so not all views on the matter are known. This will probably be formulated as a formal proposal soon, so people with concerns about the IMC as a winter headquarters are encouraged to keep talking to other people in Occupy Carbondale and attend future General Assemblies [or pass on your concern to those attending].

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Be attentive to who we are and how we interact with community groups and businesses. If you are speaking to anyone in the community in an Occupy Carbondale capacity, be sure to be respectful of others, even if you disagree with them or if they do not express support for Occupy Carbondale.
  • Voices for Truth is meeting tomorrow [Thursday] at 6 p.m. at Spinoni’s. They invite us to learn more about them.
  • We are being heard on the national level. There was recently an executive order relevant to Occupy Wall Street claims. There is also now a proposed Constitutional amendment to reverse the effects of Citizens United.
  • There is vegan chili available across the street after the meeting.
  • There is a march and rally starting at 4 p.m. tomorrow in support of the unions on campus. The start time is too early for some working people, but the march and rally will be ongoing to accommodate those with later availability and maintain a presence for a longer period.

General Assembly Minutes 30 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Marcus. Minutes: Treesong.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We discussed having handouts at the occupation site so that people who visit the site would have information to take with them. We now have some handouts.
  • A strike is looking increasingly likely. They have a strike date picked [November 3] and a strike headquarters reserved. We have a handout about strike-related events at the occupation site. We have many copies of this, so be sure to share it with as many people as possible.
  • Two of our resident techies have been working on setting up a social networking server called Diaspora. The server exists and the software is installed but it’s still being debugged. Diaspora is an alternative to social networking sites such as Facebook that allows us to keep all of our data on our own servers rather than letting Facebook control it all.
  • Speaking of Facebook, if you’re on Facebook, please consider signing up for strike-related events and other events on Facebook. This is a way of showing your support both before and during the [potential] strike.
  • We now have a Google Group for Occupy Carbondale. Talk to Kara for more information.
  • We had a complaint from a group that uses Gaia House about cleanliness and security. Be sure that in the mornings [especially Sunday mornings] we have any dishes washed and any blankets etc. out of the way so that the “living room” looks nice. Occupy Carbondale did do some cleaning so this may have been a shared problem with another group that’s been making extra use of the building lately. Thanks to Marcus, Kara, Wayne, and everyone else who has done cleaning over the weekend. Also, remember that at night the building should either be locked up entirely or have one or more awake people in it who are actively using it for something they can’t do across the street [kitchen, restrooms, Wi-Fi, etc.].
  • We have a bus tray for bring dishes from the occupation site to Gaia House. Any empty mugs etc. can be put in this tray and carried over together rather than left sitting next to chairs or on the table when empty. This ensures that clutter is reduce at occupation site and also makes it easier to carry our dishes across the street.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • Discussion: Since there was an unusually low turnout, and no one had any time-sensitive proposals that needed to be addressed tonight, we decided to stick to announcements and simply adjourn when it came time for proposals.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 28 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Minutes: Treesong.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • There will be a conference about philosophy and waste next Friday and Saturday in either the Kaskaskia Room of the Student Center [if there’s not a strike] or at the IMC [if there is a strike]. The topic of the keynote address of this conference is ethics after the end of the world. For more information, talk to Nick.
  • All hell is breaking loose at numerous occupations: Chicago, Oakland, numerous others. There will be a general strike in Oakland on November 2nd.
  • All power generators at Occupy Wall Street have been seized. They are currently attempting to raise $8,000 for bicycle-powered generators.
  • Our weekly march starts at 11:30 am tomorrow.
  • The Occupy Art Show is tomorrow at 3:30 pm at the occupation site.
  • On Sunday, Nick will be at the IMC to clean, prepare for the conference, and brainstorm about our plans for the winter. Others are welcome to join in all of the above.
  • The second Fuller Friday went well. Someone read the introduction to Buckminster Fuller’s book, Critical Path, out loud as a starting point for discussion. We’re looking forward to more events along these lines.
  • If you’re considering putting up a tent in the event of a strike at SIUC, talk to Kyle and/or Peter. Tents are considered the equivalent of sleep, so the same consequences as for sleeping in the no sleep zone may apply.
  • Adam and other folks at Beyond Coal would like to thank everyone who came out to Demand Healthy Air.
  • There will be a night watch signup after General Assembly.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Adopt a new hand signal for “point of information”.

  • Discussion: “Point of Information” is used when another speaker wants to supply a specific and immediately relevant point of information such as a legal concern about a given proposal, a fact about a situation that the speaker may not be aware of, etc.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Eliminate the current “Point of Process” hand signal.

  • Discussion: “Point of Process” is sometimes used aggressively to grind a speaker’s comments to a sudden halt. We can instead use the “Focus” / “Get To The Point” hand signal to indicate that the speaker should return to the current point without necessarily interrupting them.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Form a working group to provide material support to strikers.

  • Discussion: This group would use donations to provide material support to strikers such as food.  It would also be a way for Occupy Carbondale to promote and contribute to dialog about union-related issues in the event of a strike. However, it was pointed out that there is no need to get formal consensus for this since it is a working group rather than a committee. A working group is a small group of people acting independently of the larger group or formulating proposals to bring back to the larger group. A committee is a small group of people working to implement some basic organizational need of the larger group, such as a Food Committee to handle the food needs of the larger group.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: At the evening General Assembly, after the reading of minutes, a volunteer will provide the General Assembly with a treasury update stating how much money we currently have and what changes if any have occurred since yesterday.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Permanently terminate the 11 am Gen Assembly.

  • RESPONSE: Several Blocks [Three]
  • Discussion: Intervention. Three speak in favor of the proposal and three speak in opposition to it.
  • Those opposed argue that the morning General Assembly is small but important. It helps keep us seen, draws people out in the mornings, and provides availability for people who can’t make the 7 pm General Assembly. If the morning General Assembly seems too small, rather than cancel it, invite more people to come to it.
  • Those in favor argue that the morning General Assembly creates proposal fatigue. Formulating and deliberating on proposals twice a day isn’t necessary. If we don’t want to make this change immediately, we should start thinking about alternatives to a morning General Assembly to ensure that people who can’t make 7 pm can stay involved in decision-making if they so choose. Also, what’s the point of having a morning General Assembly if few or no decisions are made there.
  • RESPONSE: Majority Block

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Adopt a new hand signal for “point of information”.
  • Eliminate the current “Point of Process” hand signal.
  • At the evening General Assembly, after the reading of minutes, a volunteer will provide the General Assembly with a treasury update stating how much money we currently have and what changes if any have occurred since yesterday.
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 27 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Dan. Minutes: Joe.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We were visited by an SIUC police officer asking us to move our canopy to save the grass. A proposal will be proposed to address this issue.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Lift the tarps to spare the grass this Friday at noon.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Cancel the sleep~in sceduled for Friday due to scheduling issues.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Change to one General Assembly per day. [Eliminate the 11 am General Assembly and retain the 7 pm General Assembly.]

  • RESPONSE: Blocked
  • Discussion: Some people can only attend moring GA, they are short, and they hav not passed anything at morning GA people find objectionable. While cancelling it may be a good future idea, folks were not ready to do so at this time.

PROPOSAL: Get the word out to people about the morning General Assemblies.

  • Discussion: This request  should be brought to the Media and Tech Committee and the Outreach Committee. It doesn’t need to be a formal proposal.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Lift the tarps to spare the grass this Friday at noon.
  •  Cancel the sleep~in sceduled for Friday due to scheduling issues.
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 26 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Minutes: Joe.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • The Occupy Art Show is this Saturday from 3 pm to 6 pm at the occupation site [near the Bucky Dome by Quigley Hall on the corner of Illinois and Grand].
  • The Beyond Coal March is Thurs. [tomorrow] at 12 pm.
  • The Sleep-in is on Thurs. at 12:30pm. [NOTE: This event was postponed in a proposal later in the meeting.]
  • Occupy Oakland has been attacked by police.
  • Today is Derrick’s birthday. Happy Birthday, Derrick!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Place a link to Gaia House donations on Occupy Carbondale’s webpage.

  • Discussion: We can ask a tech volunteer to do this without need for a formal proposal.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Move the sleep-in that’s currently scheduled for Thursday to the same time on Friday due to a schedule conflict with the Beyond Coal March.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Move the sleep-in that’s currently scheduled for Thursday to the same time on Friday due to a schedule conflict with the Beyond Coal March. 
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 25 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Minutes: Kyle.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Derrick, David, and Joe talked to a sociology class.
  • Today was Day 10 of the Occupation! We started  on October 15th at about 1:30 pm and thus completed Day 10 sometime this afternoon.
  • Derrick turns 19 tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Derrick!
  • There’s a storm coming tonight. We’re preparing for it.
  • Let’s be sure to keep Gaia House clean. Of particular note is doing dishes in a timely manner, keeping the bathrooms clean, making a few trash/recycling runs each week, and keeping the upstairs living room clean so that new people and regulars alike have a clear and clutter-free space. Gaia House is still happy to have Occupy Carbondale here, we just wanted to pass on a few logistical concerns to be sure that they get taken care of. Cleaning Committee?
  • Let’s be mindful of the needs of other groups using the Gaia House space. There’s a schedule of weekly Gaia House events upstairs on the dry erase board. There are a few times in particular when quiet is requested in the center, such as the meditation times on Tuesday and Sunday nights and the Quaker meeting on Sunday mornings. If you’re not sure, ask Treesong or Operations Director Jon-Paul Diefenbach [who shares an office with Treesong].

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Reimburse Chris for the purchase of stakes/supplies to secure our canopy tent.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]

PROPOSAL: The General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale supports the newly forming Occupy Hunger Southern Illinois and embraces an official affiliation between our groups. 

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Reimburse Chris for the purchase of stakes/supplies to secure our canopy tent.
  • The General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale supports the newly forming Occupy Hunger Southern Illinois and embraces an official affiliation between our groups. 
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 24 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Matt. Minutes: Treesong.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • There may be a schedule conflict between the sleep-in and the Beyond Coal event. Thoughts?
  • Peter Gitau, Dean of Student Affairs, came by this morning. He said that we were blocking movement on the sidewalk. No one seems to recall this happening, but in the future, let’s be sure not to block sidewalks.
  • James Taylor will be leading a learning/teaching/reading event on Framing & The Importance of Language (mainly from the works of George Lakoff) on Wednesday from 12 pm to 3 pm at the Bucky Dome. [No, it’s not THAT James Taylor. He does play guitar, though.]
  • Beyond Coal is having a big event on campus this Thursday from 12 pm to 3 pm.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Create a “Committees” page on the website. This page will contain contact emails for each committee.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [One Block]
  • Discussion: This doesn’t have to be a personal email address if no one on the committee wants to post a personal email address.
PROPOSAL: Create an email address for each committee that people in the committee have access to.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]
PROPOSAL: Improve our online communication using various Google apps such as Google Groups for general discussion and Google Calendar for events and committee meetings.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]
PROPOSAL: Use some of our general funds to purchase a dry erase / magnetic bulletin board for displaying organizational information.
  • Discussion: This proposal would work better if it were more clear/specific about the nature and cost of this item. Bring this back as proposal next time?
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Create a “Committees” page on the website. This page will contain contact emails for each committee.
  • Create an email address for each committee that people in the committee have access to.
  • Improve our online communication using various Google apps such as Google Groups for general discussion and Google Calendar for events and committee meetings.
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 24 OCT 2011 (11 AM)

Minutes: Danielle.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.last night, joe, dani, kyle wrote a letter to the editor of the DE. written as individuals of the Occupy Movement. Kyle read the letter aloud.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Peter Gitau, Dean of Students, stopped by the occupation site around 10 am and told us that he had some complaints from people who reported that we were “shoving signs in their faces”. Peter asks that we be mindful of our actions and clear a path for all students and community members.
  • Last night, Joe, Dani, and Kyle wrote a letter to the editor of the DE. They wrote this letter as individuals of the Occupy Movement. Kyle read the letter aloud.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Create a “Resources” page on the Occupy Carbondale website. This page will contain background information relevant to the Occupy movement including information on government transparency, the PBS explanation of the Glass-Steigel Act, and knowing your rights when encountering law enforcement.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Create a “Resources” page on the Occupy Carbondale website. This page will contain background information relevant to the Occupy movement including information on government transparency, the PBS explanation of the Glass-Steigel Act, and knowing your rights when encountering law enforcement.
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 23 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Kyle. Stack Facilitator: Meghan. Minutes: Treesong.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

Note: The General Assembly at 11 am decided to reconvene at the 7 pm General Assembly. This is why there are no minutes for the 11 am General Assembly.

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Jason wants to work in partnership with Occupy Carbondale to provide food to Good Samaritan’s food pantry and the Bethel AME soup kitchen. Talk to jason with ideas or to help.
  • Mary Sullivan is an organizer for the Alternative Gift Fair. Talk to Mary or Jason if you want to get involved.
  • The studen anti-cuts group that has done solidarity with union will be holding its meetings here at the occupation site from now on as a show of solidarity with Occupy Carbondale.
  • On Tuesday from 12 pm to 3 pm there will be an event called “Conversations About Nonviolence”.  This is an informal event lead by Tod Kington, local nonviolence practitioner/trainer. All are welcome to attend and all are invited to spread the word.
  • We are looking for ideas for more events like the Bucky Dome Day and the Conversations About Nonviolence. Since we are occupying this space 24/7, we may as well fill it with educational/inspirational activities.
  • An officer stopped by during General Assembly to be sure everyone was okay. Officers have been stopping by fairly regularly to check on us.
  • This is a reminder that Occupy Carbondale had adopted an official statement in opposition to hate speech. Use of words such as “retarded” and “slut” are not conducive to creating an open and affirming environment. People are discouraged from using such speech, and people are also encouraged to call out such speech when they encounter it.
  • Gaia House would like to express its thanks to whoever was involved in cleaning out the Gaia House library, including but not limited to the last batch of cleaning on Saturday night. The Quakers meet in the library on Sunday morning and had an open/clean meeting space because of your efforts. Thanks!
  • Speaking of cleaning, let’s be sure to keep things organized and clean in general, both at the occupation site and on Gaia House land.
  • Washing your own dishes is great. Chipping in with cooking dishes or other random dishes is even better. If you see dishes piling up and have the time/energy, we encourage you to do some dishes. If you’ve never used the three-sink system before (dish soap, rinse, sanitizer), see the signs in the kitchen or talk to Treesong.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Hold a march on November 3 at 4 pm in solidarity with the unions on campus. This march will start at the occupation site, go to Anthony Hall for a rally, then return to the occupation site.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: The General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale endorses the following policy affirming nonviolence:

We, at Occupy Carbondale, endorse a policy of nonviolence. Nonviolence, working from the definition offered by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., means that our aim should never be to inflict injury upon those who perceive themselves to be our opponents, whether they are police officers or other members of our larger community.

Following the teachings of Gandhi, this would ideally include not only never inflicting injury, but also not bearing ill-will towards our opponents, in recognition of the fact that even our local opponents are members of our community; we are fighting for their rights even if they are unable or unwilling to recognize it. Our true opponents are not individuals, but rather injustice and violence itself, in all its forms.

However, we recognize, in Howard Zinn’s words from Disobedience and Democracy (2002), “that in the inevitable tension accompanying the transition from a violent world to a nonviolent one, that choice of means will almost never be pure, and will involve such complexities that the simple distinction between violence and nonviolence does not suffice as a guide”. We are a group of individuals who all possess free will. We encourage our fellow occupiers (and all people) to practice the ideal of nonviolence.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Orchestrate a musical event called Occupy Sound. This event will be open to all genres, all instruments, all methods of expressing our freedom using music.

  • Discussion: The event would be defined as a musical event and a creative expression of freedom rather than any sort of protest event. There were comments that while this is a good idea, it may be best served by forming a committee to investigate University policy and regarding music on campus [acoustic versus amplified, drums versus no drums, location/time, etc.].
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn
  • Discussion: If anyone would like to be involved in this committee, talk to Bill.

PROPOSAL: Hold an art exhibit this Saturday at the occupation site from 3 pm to 5 pm. This exhibit will include previous signs/supplies as well as any new art.

  • Discussion: We should bring art supplies so that people who come can make their own art. People with critical or dissenting viewpoints are also welcome to make their own art as long as it is not hate speech and does not disrupt the process of other artists.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Amend the past minutes to include the full text of the 4 point proposal from earlier this week. Also add this text to our website’s “About Us” page as a  “basis for dialog” [versus an official statement].

  • RESPONSE: Two Blocks
  • Discuss: We already agreed to put the full version of the text in the old minutes but just haven’t gotten around to it. Can we just do that instead? Putting it on the “About Us” page elevates it beyond other people’s talking points which is the reason why it wasn’t put there in the first place. On the other hand, if our only concern is making this seem like our only statement on the matter, we could alleviate this concern by including other people’s talking points on the “About Us” page too. This set of talking points shouldn’t be penalized just because no one else has submitted any of their own.
  • MODIFIED PROPOSAL: Amend the past minutes to include the full text of the 4 point proposal from earlier this week. This  is a “basis for dialog” rather than an official statement.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • “In an effort to establish a basis for constructive political dialog with our constituents and representatives now and in the future, and in the spirit of the Occupy Wall Street movement’s basic premise of “righting corporate injustices”, we adopt the following four points as a basis for dialog about the basic foundation for change that we are seeking:
    1. The legal definition of corporations should be stripped of all suggestions that corporations are “persons” with the same inalienable rights that we, the people of America, are entitled to.
    2. There should be strict limits or a complete ban on corporate/institutional contributions to political candidate campaigns. Any contribution made within these new guidelines must be fully disclosed to the American public by both the donor and the recipient.
    3. Corporations should be forced by law to pay their fair share of taxes through the elimination of key holed subsidies and tax code loopholes.
    4. On a local level, we stand in solidarity with the unions on campus in their struggle for a fair contract.

PROPOSAL: Include the Citizens United decision on our website.

  • Discussion: In order to make this a more sound proposal, it should include more detail on what language to include and how to include it. Once this proposal is made, we should also make the media aware of this decision. [It was also suggested that we should start sending our meeting minutes in general to the media.]
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Change the time of 7 pm General Assembly to 7:30 pm.

  • RESPONSE: Several Blocks, None in Favor, Proposal Dropped
  • Discussion: There is no specific reason why 7:30 is better than 7 for most participants. We desire to keep the assembly times stable unless there is specific and pressing reason to change them.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Hold a march on November 3 at 4 pm in solidarity with the unions on campus. This march will start at the occupation site, go to Anthony Hall for a rally, then return to the occupation site.
  • The General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale endorses the following policy affirming nonviolence:We, at Occupy Carbondale, endorse a policy of nonviolence. Nonviolence, working from the definition offered by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., means that our aim should never be to inflict injury upon those who perceive themselves to be our opponents, whether they are police officers or other members of our larger community.Following the teachings of Gandhi, this would ideally include not only never inflicting injury, but also not bearing ill-will towards our opponents, in recognition of the fact that even our local opponents are members of our community; we are fighting for their rights even if they are unable or unwilling to recognize it. Our true opponents are not individuals, but rather injustice and violence itself, in all its forms.However, we recognize, in Howard Zinn’s words from Disobedience and Democracy (2002), “that in the inevitable tension accompanying the transition from a violent world to a nonviolent one, that choice of means will almost never be pure, and will involve such complexities that the simple distinction between violence and nonviolence does not suffice as a guide”. We are a group of individuals who all possess free will. We encourage our fellow occupiers (and all people) to practice the ideal of nonviolence.
  • Hold an art exhibit this Saturday at the occupation site from 3 pm to 5 pm. This exhibit will include previous signs/supplies as well as any new art.
  • Amend the past minutes to include the full text of the 4 point proposal from earlier this week. This  is a “basis for dialog” rather than an official statement.
    • “In an effort to establish a basis for constructive political dialog with our constituents and representatives now and in the future, and in the spirit of the Occupy Wall Street movement’s basic premise of “righting corporate injustices”, we adopt the following four points as a basis for dialog about the basic foundation for change that we are seeking:
      1. The legal definition of corporations should be stripped of all suggestions that corporations are “persons” with the same inalienable rights that we, the people of America, are entitled to.
      2. There should be strict limits or a complete ban on corporate/institutional contributions to political candidate campaigns. Any contribution made within these new guidelines must be fully disclosed to the American public by both the donor and the recipient.
      3. Corporations should be forced by law to pay their fair share of taxes through the elimination of key holed subsidies and tax code loopholes.
      4. On a local level, we stand in solidarity with the unions on campus in their struggle for a fair contract.
# # #

General Assembly Minutes 22 OCT 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Meghan. Stack Facilitator: Danielle. Minutes: Kara.

GENERAL DISCUSSION

Note: Due to today’s march and other considerations, the General Assembly at 11 am decided to reconvene at the 7 pm General Assembly. This is why there are no minutes for the 11 am General Assembly.

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

Summary of Minutes of Previous General Assembly

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Matt and Katy are making pancakes for breakfast on Sunday!! 10am.
  • There is a critical mass bike ride on the 29th if anyone is interested.
  • Yoga and hooping from 4-6 Sunday.
  • Everyone is encouraged to think of events and themes for the week.
  • Occupy Carbondale Google hits went from 32,000 to 42,000 in 24 hours.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Occupy Carbondale issues a decree that states that all people who share this Earth as their home are welcome in our occupation.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]

PROPOSAL: Next Thursday have a sleep-in starting at 12:30 at the Library, then Student Center, then Anthony Hall. (About 15 minutes each.) We will make an event on Facebook and invite people.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [One Block]

PROPOSAL: Occupy Carbondale adopts a strict non-violence policy.

  • RESPONSE: Several Blocks [Not a Majority Block]
  • Discussion: After discussion, proposal was rescinded to be discussed and written up as a more detailed policy
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL Since the unions have announced a strike date on Nov 3, we should make a declaration about maintaining the occupation on campus in solidarity with the 4 unions.

  • RESPONSE: Two Blocks
  • Discusion: After small groups discussed, the proposal was partially amended. The proposal in its entirety is as follows.
  • MODIFIED PROPOSAL:

    “Whereas the reasons Occupy Carbondale chose this location, between the Bucky Dome and Gaia House on the campus of SIUC, are numerous and variable;

    And whereas one of those reasons was to insist that the SIUC administration give a fair contract to the workers of the 4 unions who have been without a fair contract for over 478 days;

    And whereas the Faculty Association and the Non-Tenure Track Faculty Association have set a strike date of November 3rd, 2011;

    We, the General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale, declare our intention to maintain our occupation of this symbolically powerful location on SIUC campus in solidarity with all 4 unions seeking to fairly settle this labor dispute in a manner that protects the quality of university education and university jobs.”

  • RESPONSE: Consensus [No Blocks]

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Occupy Carbondale issues a decree that states that all people who share this Earth as their home are welcome in our occupation.
  • Next Thursday have a sleep-in starting at 12:30 at the Library, then Student Center, then Anthony Hall. (About 15 minutes each.) We will make an event on Facebook and invite people.
  • The General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale makes the following official statement:

    “Whereas the reasons Occupy Carbondale chose this location, between the Bucky Dome and Gaia House on the campus of SIUC, are numerous and variable;

    And whereas one of those reasons was to insist that the SIUC administration give a fair contract to the workers of the 4 unions who have been without a fair contract for over 478 days;

    And whereas the Faculty Association and the Non-Tenure Track Faculty Association have set a strike date of November 3rd, 2011;

    We, the General Assembly of Occupy Carbondale, declare our intention to maintain our occupation of this symbolically powerful location on SIUC campus in solidarity with all 4 unions seeking to fairly settle this labor dispute in a manner that protects the quality of university education and university jobs.”

# # #