Good Things are Happening At the Big Muddy IMC

The folks in Occupy Carbondale have been busy planning some great events at the Big Muddy Independent Media Center!  We invite everyone to come take part in these events that are free and open to the community. Any donations received go towards paying the bills at the IMC.  We have several great teach-ins coming up, craft workshops,  live music, and Film Fridays are back! Please check the calendar page for more details. Also, anyone interested in joining a committee please check the committee page for their information.

Occupy Congress: Will YOUR Voice Be Heard #J17?

The house of representatives will return to session on January 17th of 2012.  Welcome back.  We told you to “expect us” didn’t we?

Feel like sending a message to your congress in 2012?  Could January 17th be your chance to do so?  Do you want change?  What are YOU willing to do to get it?  Will you put in the effort necessary to have your voice heard?  Will you Occupy Congress on January 17th?

Wall Street and MSM may not want to acknowledge either our growth or our accomplishments in 3 short months of 2011 but one cannot deny that they know we are here.  We must remember that the crimes admonished on us by the 1% didn’t occur without the assistance of another very powerful (and OUT OF CONTROL) group in America – the U.S. Congress.  Now is the time to bring our message to the other half of the criminal equation.  It is the time for a national convergence of occupiers in our nation’s capital.  You cannot stop an idea who’s time has come.  You might even want to be a part of making it happen!

Additional information can be found on the Facebook event page and the  Occupy Congress Wiki.  There is also a list-serve (pretty high volume even in digest form has been my experience.)  Momemtum and support for this event are building and many thousands are anticipated to attend.  What are we willing to do as Occupy Carbondale to get there and express solidarity with this event? Comments are open on this thread – let’s talk it up!

2012-1-04 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

  • Group Assembled, 8:30ish at Gaia House-Interfaith Center
    Present: Wayne, Kara, Matt, Peter
     
  • Call to Order
     
  • Approval of Agenda

    No one disputed the agenda.

  • News/Announcements
  • Individual Progress Reports
  • Wayne is setting up virtual machines on hid computer for use in teach-ins.
  • Discussion
  1. Group discussed issues with machine setup for demonstrating software during future teach-ins.  Lack of appropriate computers a problem.
  2. Peter mentioned that he may be able to offer a computer for demo.
  3. Individual machine setups vs. dual booting vs. virtualisation was discussed.
  • return to News/Annonuncements

    The group returned to discussing news and announcements.

  • New or updated news items
  • SOPA update — House is on break for the holidays, will bring the bill up in the coming weeks.
  • PIPA, OPEN also discussed.
  • return to Discussion

    The group returned to general discussion.

  1. Wayne suggested doing a ‘Media’ teach-in.  How to interpret and react to legislation.
  2. Organizing teach-ins
    • Need to figure out possible dates and order
    • Free Software teach-in considered by group as logical first event
    • Dates proposed and scheduled for teach-ins
      1. Free Software teach-in – January 21st, 4:30pm at Independent Media Center– first Saturday after classes resume
      2. Intro to Linux teach-in – January 28th, 4:30pm at Independent Media Center
    • Peter mentioned the Recreation Committee and that a teach-in would need to be schedule around their (potentially) already scheduled activities.
    • Kara expressed concern over the magnitude of happenings that day and the need for scheduling times that are most convenient for people participating in other events.
  3. Alternatives to Google Docs considered
  4. Internet at IMC
    • still pending
    • little or no response from WDBX about Internet sharing
    • possible issues resulting from lack of Internet brought up in regards to teach-ins with demonstrations
    • Matt suggesting asking the City govt., a business, or Main Street organization to help
  5. Group Adjourn
  6. Individual and Small Group Projects

    No small group work this week.

Schedule of General Assemblies

Occupy Carbondale will hold the next general assembly wed, March 21st at 7pm to reflect on the midwest regional conference and to coordinate for the Chicago summit.

2011-12-28 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

Matt Coleman, Wayne Warren, and Peter Sussman collaborating through gtalk and facebook chat:

2011-12-21 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

Talked About:

  • a specific, on-going effort someone (?) is engaged in to post current news stories on a blog; note-to-self: find out more about this

Ideas:

  • Need to get an IRC channel going for remote participation in meetings
  • Need to organize, set dates, and advertise for the Teach-Ins. Suggested “class” outline.

General Assembly Minutes 10 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Stack: Dan. Minutes: Katy

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • On Saturday, Jan 21st there is going to be a People’s Tribunal about the corporation Monsanto and their practices. This is going to be held in the law courtroom in Lesar Law Building on SIUC campus. Sarah will share more information as it becomes available.
  • Tonight, Dec 10th is the Gaia House’s 1st Annual Interfaith Holiday Bash: Christmahanukwanzadan from 6-11 pm. This is a major fundraiser for Gaia House. The cost is $10 at the door and includes food, drinks, raffles, and entertainment from S.I.W.A.D.E, Kid Tiger, and Nile Breeze Dance Company!
  • At 2:30 pm today, following the GA, the Recreation Committee is having a teach-in on mending clothing. Please join them and bring your clothes that need mending!
  • There is going to be a show on Wed, Dec 14th with bands, short films, performance art, and visual art at 8 pm at the IMC.
  • The Outreach working group will be meeting at the IMC on Tues, Dec 13th at 6 pm. All are invited.
  • On Thurs, Dec 15th we will once again be protesting at the Federal Building in Carbondale from 12-1pm. Please share this event with your friends.
  • Marilyn would like to thank everyone who came to the Peace Coalition’s vigil for UN Human Rights Day today!
  • The next New Humanist Forum will be on Sunday, Jan 15th at the Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship, 105 N. Parrish at 12:15 pm. Rich Federer will be speaking on the topic of corporations are not people.
  • Reminder to please write all events on the calendar located in the IMC so that everyone who might be interested can see them.
  • Anyone who wants to be added to the Occupy Carbondale Google Group should add their email to the sheet being passed around during the GA. The invitation will appear in your inbox as being from the Group.
  • Ashley has been in contact with Occupy Springfield and Occupy Chicago. 2 of Occupy Springfield’s members were arrested and fined $500 for chalking on sidewalks even though there is no city ordinance against chalking. Rich Whitney stated that one of the occupiers was charged with defacing public property and that he is currently in the process of getting copies of their citations in order to offer them legal advice. If you would like to express concern, please call the Springfield Police Dept at 217-788-8311. Occupy Springfield has also posted some interesting videos about what they have been doing on their website (OccupySpringfield.org).
  • The group Occupy Congress is planning an event called Million Tent March for Jan 17th, the Tues after MLK Jr Day. Dan has done some research and it would cost about $244 dollars roundtrip on Amtrak to go to DC. He will keep us updated and is planning to go if the event happens. It was also suggested that it might be possible to fill a bus which would cost about $65 per person.
  • The next meeting of the Human Relations Committee will be Monday, Jan 9th at 6:30 at the Carbondale Civic Center. This is one of the advisory boards to the city council.
  • The next meeting of the Sustainability Committee, another advisory board of the city council, will be on Thursday, Dec 15th at 6:30 pm at the Carbondale Civic Center.
  • We will be having Film showings every Friday at the IMC. For now, they will be at 5:30 pm.
  • We need rugs for the drumset for the show at the IMC this Wednesday. Please contact Ashley if you have a rug you can donate or loan.
  • Ashley would like to organize a radical Christmas carolers group. Anyone interested, please see her.
  • There is going to be a Meet and Greet with the new WDBX board members tomorrow, Dec 11th from 5-8 pm at the Township Hall.
  • Gaia house has a garden which was not used this past year.

DISCUSSION

NOTE: The following notes are a summary of points brought up during the new discussion section of the GA. All thoughts are those of individual attendees of the GA and are NOT official statements of Occupy Carbondale.

  • Charlie Howe told the group about an author named John Michael Greer who was recommended to him by Bill Perk. Greer wrote a book called, “The Long Descent,” about peak resources whihc he recommends we read. Ashley also suggested the book, “The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century,” by  James Howard Kunstler which inspired her to become a bike commuter.
  • The topic of the community garden was brought up. Per Kyle, Jason is working with the city to get this started but it will likely be some months before this is established. Reminder of the importance of learning to grow our own food.
  • Aaron would like to do a teach-in on MAP model for developing goals and measuring movement towards goals and is wondering if people would be interested. He would be open to help if anyone is interested.
  • One of the challenges of our occupation is that we do not have any visible symbols of the 1% here, the closest thing would be the Federal building. The government is not really the problem, the problem are the poweres manipulating it. We should join other occupations in major cities for their actions. We should also be a presence at candidate forums for the upcoming elections, raising important issues and researching where candidates are getting their money. This is not yet actionable but should be thought about.
  • There are some representations of the 1% in Peabody Coal and Ameren. However, these are not very visible symbols.
  • The Big Muddy IMC is not just limited to Carbondale but the whole rural community. We need to create positive forward movement; “protests” can feed into negativity. Going to DC for protests may take energy away from things we can do in this area.
  • Anyone interested in farming can come to Hollow Pumpkin Farms and they would be happy to teach you. See Fran for more info.
  • We need to have more radical action like general strikes, mortgage strikes, not paying income taxes (fueling the war machine).
  • We need to make this a narrative. Where do we want to be 2 months down the road? 1 year?
  • We need to set plans and goals within the group even if they are not publicized.
  • Idea to go to Walmart, spread out and Mic check. Could also do a flash mob/carolers.
  • Idea to possibly try to support the labor dispute with Long John Silvers in some way.
  • There is an organization called Project Vote Smart which collects information regarding campaign financing for all candidates.
  • Everyone is encouraged to sign petitions against the Detention Act and write Congress.

 PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL:  Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • Discussion: The main reasons for this change are to streamline the process and to allow more voices to be heard in the group discussion, as opposed to the interventions. Some expressed that they felt the group was already a small group discussion, however others felt that even smaller groups were important for less dominating voices to be heard.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Turn off the lights in the IMC during the GA.

  • Discussion: Facilitator suggested that we put up signage encouraging everyone to be energy efficient but this does not need to be a proposal. The lights were turned off.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • The General Assemblies scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st,2011 are cancelled.
  • The first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it are eliminated from the consensus process. If a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

General Assembly Minutes 7 DEC 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Dan. Stack: Danielle. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We will hold “Recreational Day” at the Bucky Dome site near the corner of 51 and Grand on Friday, Dec 9th from 12pm-2pm.
  • The Outreach Working group met on Tuesday. The meeting minutes are posted at CccupyCarbondale.org. We will be meeting every Tuesday at 6pm at the IMC (214 N. Washington St.)
  • On Thursday, Dec 8th from 12-1pm we will be marching at the Federal Building in downtown Carbondale. Please join us!
  • On Friday, Dec 9th at 5:30pm we will be showing the film, “Metropolis” at the IMC
  • There will be a special Human Rights peace vigil at the Town Square on Saturday, Dec 10th from 12pm-1pm. The Peace Coalition is calling for 30+ people to hold signs stating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
  • This Saturday, Dec 10th, following the GA, at 2:30pm there will be a teach-in on sewing/mending clothing. Bring clothes in need of care.
  • American Voices meets every 1st Thursday of each month at 6pm at Spinoni’s. This is a good opportunity for outreach.
  • Ashley is planning an Art Show for next Wednesday, Dec 14th following the GA.
  • Last Sunday’s live music show made $20 for IMC utilities.
  • The Sierra Club is having a picnic at Giant City on New Year’s Day at Shelter 2 from 11-3pm. It is a potlatch. There will be soup.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Add a general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes to the GA agenda so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements, 2) Discussion, 3) Proposals, 4) Adjournment. 

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Change the consensus process to include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.  

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the scheduling of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote
(following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the structure of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • A general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes will be added to the agenda of the General Assemblies so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements 2) Discussion 3) Proposals 4) Adjournment.
  • The consensus process will now include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.
  • The following two Proposals were passed, but will need to pass another GA before taking effect:
    • 1. Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.
    • 2. Eliminate the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it from the consensus process so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

 

2011-12-07 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

  • Break off from Media Committee?
    • No. The “media” aspects of the media and tech committee could be taken care of within the first half hour with the balance of the time spent working on tech committee matters.
    • Also, if the “media” folks do not wish to join, they can as a committee set their own time and the technical side can keep regular “working group” hours that do not require the permission of the rest of the group.
  • Discuss LibrePlanet Team
    • freeculture.org : chapter-based student organization group for free software advocacy (Action Item: Pete, talk to ACM and other computer science students and professors to gauge interest, collect signatures for RSO petition)
    • libreplanet.org : is thing on? hello? <cricket chirping>
  • Teach-In, Mid-January:
    • Offer Users a choice of operating systems to convert. Have computers set up for folks to try out during Teach-In. Use Wayne’s desktop computer to forward X11 connections from the following different distributions (action item for Wayne):
      • Mint
      • Ubuntu
      • Fedora
  • Next Meeting: Wednesday, Dec 14, 2011 @ Gaiahouse or IMC
    • no internets at IMC, so bring all the files you need if you plan to work on a project!
    • tentative agenda:
      • progress reports: Wayne (virtual machines & x11 forwarding), Pete (RSO status)
      • come up with tentative teach-in schedule to introduce folks to free software

General Assembly Minutes 3 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Wayne. Stack: Ashley. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Marleen Shepherd made an announcement on behalf of the Carbondale Interfaith Council. They would like us to know that they (along with other organizations) are currently drafting a statement of suport for the Occupy movement. They support Occupy Carbondale and are looking to help us.
  • Occupy Carbondale has been invited to speak at the Carbondale Human Relations Commission meeting Monday, Dec. 5th at 6pm at the Carbondale Civic Center. Several occupiers will be in attendance. Everyone is invited and encouraged to participate.
  • For anyone who wants should join the Occupy Carbondale google group, a piece of paper is being passed around to collect addresses.
  • Jason Shoot is running for WDBX Board of Directors. Become a WDBX member, and you will able to vote in the election.
  • The Alternative Gift Fair will be held at the Unitarian Fellowship from 3-6pm on Sunday, Dec. 3rd.
  • Anyone interested in Occupy Chicago’s meet and greet networking efforts can talk to/message Ashley.
  • There will be live music at the Occupy HQ (IMC 214 N. Washington) on Sunday, Dec. 3rd (late evening?). Proceeds from donations will go to pay for our facilities and a portion to the bands.
  • Peace Coalition need at least 32 people to attend next Saturday, Dec. 10th for a special Human Right’s Day peace vigil to hold signs featuring the declaration of human of rights from 12pm-1pm at the Town Square.
  • Occupy Carbondale will be demonstrating against austerity measures, corporate influence in government, and tax laws that favor corporations outside the Paul Simon Federal Building in Carbondale on Thursday between 12-1pm. Please join us!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Seek a permit for the Thursday Federal Building Demonstrations

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn
  • Discussion: While there was considerable support for the idea following the intervention stage of the consensus process, the proposer withdrew the proposal. People should be aware that we likely will not have a permit to demonstrate on Federal property, but are protected when demonstrating while walking in the sidewalk areas. Anyone is welcome to get a permit for the demonstration.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus